Saturday, February 14, 2009

The day we all love to hate...

Valentine's Day, until we've actually had a good one, can easily be about as enjoyable as getting stranded on the toilet with no toilet paper.

My last Valentine's Day consisted of me on a date with one of my best girlfriends at the same time and location as my current boyfriend and his ex-girlfriend.  That was about as fun as sandpapering your eyeballs.  I also received my signature pity rose, which I did gladly accept as a token of appreciation for my friendship (I really did appreciate it a lot, Michael, I promise, and Collin would be glad to know you continued the tradition)...

I'm now positive that guys hate Valentine's Day as much as single girls do though.  Once you're in a relationship, dollars are wasted on flowers that die, meals that get eaten, etc...  And as much as your girlfriend agrees that it's a waste of money and a gimmick of the greeting card industry, if you forget of decide to let the day slip, you're probably going to wind up in some trouble.

This year, however, I was lucky enough to have quite a different experience.  Michael has since redeemed himself in a big way.  I must extend a little bit of pity for the boy, however.  February is a big month for him:
My 20th birthday falls on the 8th.  Valentine's Day on the 14th.  Our 6 month anniversary on the 26th.

Lucky for him, I'm easily satisfied by quality time...but the BEAUTIFUL pink roses were a wonderful bonus =)

But- I'm also a firm believer in equality.  A male equivalent of Valentine's Day should be celebrated annually on March 14th.  Society has its own name for this man celebration of love, but it's name is a bit inappropriate, so I'll have to come up with something else.

Most likely this day will consisted of red meat, some form of video games, growling, and rolling in dirt follow by rubbing antlers on trees and using the word "boobs" repeatedly.  Okay, maybe not exactly that, but something that a guy can appreciate...because I'm pretty sure we're all clear on the fact that they don't want flowers, and if your guy does want flowers, you may want to dig a little further into his past...just sayin'.

March 14th is also Taylor Hanson's birthday- if only I could eliminate pointless crap like that from my memory.  He also just had a son named Viggo Moriah.  If that kid doesn't end up looking like him, his life will be miserable.

Other random things stored in my brain:
A horse's heart weighs 10lbs
Eskimos use refrigerators to keep food from freezing
Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump.  This is because they have 4 knees, of course.
In addition to their striped fur, tigers also have striped skin.

Anyway, my point is that Valentine's Day CAN be fun...I never thought I'd see the day.
Happy Valentine's Day to all of you.  I hope you've been as lucky in love as I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment