Friday, January 9, 2009

Reflections on a great year and ringin' in a new one...

Happy 2009!  I keep saying that I can't believe it's already 2009...I wasn't quite done with my 2008 yet, but I suppose I've got to make the most of it and dive right in...but before I do that, I just wanted to share some things that I've picked up on this year.

2008 was an amazing year for me.  With the exception of the first half of it that was a bit bumpy, I have never been happier.  I've done more growing over the past year than I ever could have expected...and any trials have only turned out to be blessings.  I'm in a relationship with the most amazing guy I could ever have hoped for.  I've grown closer to my best friends, and farther from some others...but for the most part, everything has seemed to finally fall into place in my life, and I know that it has to do with me finally giving up on the pride battle of trying to do it myself, and just surrendering it to God and learning to ask for help from Him and others when I need it.

  • I've learned that I really can handle anything through God.  His plan is ALWAYS better than mine, so it's pretty much just best to turn everything over to Him from the start...that won't ever backfire on you, but your plan probably will.
  • I've learned that I shouldn't sweat the small stuff...and seriously, it IS all small stuff when you think about it.
  • I've learned that I shouldn't give up on people.  Not everyone will let you down.  Not every guy will break your heart, and sometimes, you have to take a few hits before you can really appreciate how good you have it.  I am incredibly blessed.
  • I've learned that leaving can be one of the most empowering things you can do.
  • I've learned that disconnecting from your "security blankets" can be the healthiest thing you can do and the only thing that will possibly allow you to grow into yourself.
  • I've learned that church is necessary for my growth, sense of security, and accountability.
  • I've learned that not every church is right for me, but I've been blessed enough to find the right one and I'm able to share that part of my life with some of the most important people in my life.
  • I've learned that shutting God out of certain areas of your life simply won't work in your favor, so just quit while you're ahead, let Him in, and take that leap of faith.  You won't regret it.
  • I've learned that relationships absolutely have to have God at the center, whether it's a friendship or romantic relationship, He has to be there for it to function healthily.  
  • I've learned that you can never run out of love to give, and you can never run out of a positive thing to say.  However,
  • I've learned that sometimes, you just need to rant to somebody who will love you no matter how ridiculous you are...and those people are hard to come by, so love them with all you have and make sure they know they are appreciated.
  • I've learned that coffee can be ridiculously tasty...and trying new things can be fun and rewarding (beyond coffee, of course).
  • I've learned that I hate political commercials.
  • I've learned that stopping to appreciate God's creation now and then never gets old.  Seriously.  Look at the stars.  It makes you feel so small and just encapsulated by the wonderment of God's power. (In the picture above, check out the Northern Lights...I've GOT to see that before I die)
  • I've learned that prayer is a necessity for spiritual growth.  You wouldn't go a week without talking to your best friend or lover, and you can't go Add Videowithout talking to God and expect your relationship to flourish.
  • I've learned that despite what I'd like to think, I really am one of those girls that likes the mushy romantic stuff...oh dear.
  • I've learned that acting like a grandma and knitting can be really fun.
  • I've also learned that remembering my childhood and coloring or going to the zoo is still really, really, really fun...and turning 20 won't be the end of the world.

This is getting pretty long, but I think the gist of what I'm saying is that in 2009, in all things, I hope I continue to learn, grow, and seek God...to grow closer to Him individually, take some more chances, branch out, and be less afraid of losing.  Everything works for the good of those who love Him...why not live really, really believing it?


No comments:

Post a Comment