Monday, June 15, 2009

Wanted: Warm Fuzzies


Sometimes, I wish I could go back and enjoy music the way I did when I was 12.
Of course I still love music today, but the way I hear and experience it is different...I don't care to "meet the band" anymore (with the exception of Andrew McMahon or Ben Gibbard. I'd go for a handshake in hopes that some vibe of genius would pass onto me).
They're just people who write songs, sing them, and people like it.
I rarely get excited to go to concerts. Of course I enjoy them, but the magic of that experience doesn't really capture me anymore- every once in a while, though, a moment will bring back my inner amazed 14 year old.
I don't know what my point is, so feel free to quit reading.
I guess it just makes me a little sad that I find the little kid on Christmas excitement fades more and more each year.

I wish that I could experience songs like it's the first time I've heard them every time.
I remember the first time I heard Black Balloon...subject matter way beyond what I understood it to be, but the sound of it drew me in so quickly. Heroin addiction...who knew?

The bridge in Drops of Jupiter. Epic. And every time I hear that song it brings me back to that summer where my first "boyfriend" dumped me at Disney World in 6th grade because I heard it in the car on the way home...but it feels good....Hanging By a Moment was that same summer.

Every time I hear "Hands Down," I remember sitting around talking to Chelsea about how we both wanted our first kisses to be just like the one at the end of the song, and being completely clueless freshmen.

"Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane reminds me of the first time I met Nate...by fainting on him. I still get dizzy when I hear it.

Jack's Mannequin Everything in Transit reminds me of Rachel begging me to play another cd on the way to and from school after about 5 consecutive months of never changing it. It's THAT good.

Jimmy Eat World "Kill" was everything I couldn't say to a certain someone a year ago, but desperately wanted to.

"Brand New Colony" always reminds me of Michael and puts a big smile on my face.

I'm enjoying itunes shuffling and a journey through summers past.
Sometimes I just need a good dose of the warm fuzzies...hopefully that trip to Nashville will do it for me. On the way up, I fully intend to listen to some of my favorite nostalgic songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment